Sunday, December 9, 2012

Christmas Activites~ Days 3 and 4

"For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord."
Luke 2:11

Day 3 ~ Old Fashion Chain link with a twist. 


This time of year is especially important for our family for many MANY reasons.... mainly because of our faith and Love in the Heavenly Father.  It is incredibly important to us that we not only pass on our beliefs but, our traditions as well.  So,  I not only read the story of the birth of our Savior's birth I wrote the story on the chain links.  That way, every single day my little one will get another reminder of what we read. 


We read the story ~ wrote the story~ put the link in a pattern~ linked them together
 Simple and Fun!

 
 
Day 4: Dough Ornaments
 
As I helped my son put on some more ornaments I had to take a step back.  A step back because I enjoyed watching him get very excited about finding that perfect limb in order to place the accessory on the tree. In addition to watching him I couldn't help but focus on some of the memories that 'are' attached to some of ornaments for example I picked up a rather old and little ragged angel.  It was definitely a special one because on the back it had two names along with... "Our first Christmas."  What a special and loving memory!!  Strong memories that I truly hold deep!! 
 
Finally after my son was finished with the few left I took out the supplies for the our project.  Homemade Dough Ornaments.  Needless-to-say, I was very curious as to see if they were going to turn out!  Let's me be honest 99 percent of my projects are trial-by-error...as I like.... enjoy rather...making up the stuff I do with my little man!   
Today we had some messy fun!!  My son really enjoyed making some old fashion dough ornaments. 
 
The Ingredients & Materials:
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of salt  
- 1/4 cup of cinnamon (used for the scent)
- 3/4 cup of water
- Optional: Rolling pin
- Cookie sheet
- Cookie cutters
We didn't have a rolling pin...so, we just had fun smashing the dough.

This was the hardest part out of the entire project.... Waiting!
 

Directions:
- Mix the dry ingredients first
- Slowly add the water
- Roll out and smash the dough on the counter
- Press down the cookie cutter
- Bake for 2 hours at 250 degrees
- Make a hole using a straw
- Paint
- Hang 

No comments:

Post a Comment